Did you make some resolutions to get healthier this year? Did you decide it’s time for a new you? Read on to find out how you can lose 5 pounds in just 5 minutes!
Making that big decision to changing your health for the better is the first step to making a change. The truth is, about one third of us have already forgotten about our resolutions or just gave up on them by now. Here is the anatomy of a successful resolution:
Once you’ve decided you are ready to change, you have to find a solution to your dilemma that will work for you. That’s where the strategy comes in to place. Once you have your strategy, now it’s time to activate that change and start seeing change happen.
Many people will start off dieting with a complete plan, down to having all their meals planned and even shipped to them to avoid any possible straying from their specific diet and goals. But, once that external structure is gone, they revert back to age old habits. That’s why you hear so much about people losing weight, but then gaining it right back. So, what is the solution?
One solution is to step back, and focus in on the weakest (eating wise) part of your day only focus on that part of your day. Take a few days to write down your eating habits and intake, including the time of day. Once you identify your most difficult times of the day to stick to your healthy eating plan, then narrow down your solution to those hours only. Typically this tends to be late afternoon due to blood sugar dropping and your body starting to feel fatigued from the day’s activities. Let’s say you notice your eating slip slides around 3:30. You notice by 6:00, your day is starting to wind down and you are able to relax a bit. You notice that your worst eating habits happen to coincide with 3:30-5:30. Great, now we work towards a solution targeted to when you need it most. Now, here’s your 5 minutes of commitment comes into play and instead of the dread of planning each and every day, all day, you can plan for your 2 most difficult hours. When we break down goals and solutions to very small steps, there is a much higher chance of success. Let’s think of some easy solutions to work through those tough 2 hours:
- Set a reminder for yourself each day at 3:00 to remind yourself 3:30-5:30 is your weak spot
- Prepare a high protein, portion controlled snack so that you are not left to face the vending machine or Starbucks with no reserves of willpower left
- Plan for a cool or hot drink to provide hydration (low sugar, of course)
- Take a short break (5-10 minutes) to stretch, breath, walk, talk to a friend, etc.
- Congratulate yourself on having a strategy and tell yourself that it’s a short period of time
- Repeat this daily until it becomes a normal part of the structure of your day
- Fine tune with small strategies and steps to work towards your goals
- Watch the pounds melt away!
Remember, resolutions need solutions and with a little planning you can see big results over time.